Quick Devotional Writing Tips
Writing devotionals is a great way to impact people for Christ. It is also terrific practice for teaching us to write tight—to say a lot in a few words. Keep these tips in mind while creating Christian devotionals.
Six things to remember:
- Start with Scripture that your editor has given you, or you have chosen. Read it over and over again. Read it in different versions.
- Pray over that Scripture. Ask God to show you what He wants you to say about it.
- Determine the ONE truth you want readers to take away from your devotional.
- Recall or create an anecdote, an incident or an object lesson that will illustrate that ONE truth to your readers.
- Keep it short. Write about 250 words including your Scripture and challenge.
- Follow your editor’s guidelines for length, format and Bible versions.
Voila! You have a devotional that will touch reader’s hearts as writing it touched yours.
–by Jean Hall
KCWC Planning Committee